General Discussion

Guide to a new character

Hey guys btw I just finished my guide to making a new character in SWTOR. It has sorta an overview on making credits and using crew skills and leveling and gearing your toon. You guys probably don't need it but I wrote it for a friend and wondered what people thought. Let me know what you all think

Here's a link to the file, you can just view it on the web or download it for the hyperlinks to work

https://files.acrobat.com/a/preview/fb3cda0b-387a-481b-8c2e-fad80af8f225

Looks good Deltez.  Here are some edits I would do:

Slicing: while lockbox missions are quicker to run, sliced parts of all levels are now useful again with Strongholds crafting items.  There may be a market for Level 6 and lower sliced parts.

Crew missions in general: Always run orange missions as they give you +2 to your skill rather than +1, even if your companion fails.  If you are raising a gathering skill, then get it to the minimum you need for the planet you are on.  Then pick up any resources you see while doing class missions.  This is the fastest way, and it is also free.

Cybertech crafting: If you craft yourself green armor plates you can save a ton of planet comms to spend on barrel / hilts, mods, and enhancements as you level.  Do not make mods with Cybertech.  mods cost only 2 planet comms so it is not worth the materials to make them.  Saving 7 planet comms for each armor plate makes up the difference of spending only 18 comms for 9 mods.  This will help you keep your companion in updated gear too.

Underworld Trading: If you need the mats, then run those missions.  Otherwise run only companion gift missions.  They take half the time to run and you get the gift to raise your companions affection.

Companion affection: I didn't see anything in the guide regarding this.  It is very important to get your companions affection maxxed out.  They give you bonuses to your stats and increase your presence which makes your companions more powerful.  Having a bunch of maxxed affection companions makes subsequent new characters much easier to level due to the companions being more effective.

- Piotr / Chevez / Viac / Tihm / Kalannar / Qeron / HGTTG-42

And on the subject of comp affection... you can get to 4k with ~15k credits by buying from the comp gift vendor across from the GTN on the fleet.  Just buy ~21 of the level 1 gifts your comp needs combined with ~21 of the rank 2 ones.  This will get you from 0 to 4k! 

I also thought this was a pretty good basic guide.  The crafting is changing a bit after 2.9, but most of what you said is still true enough.

On the companion affection, you should use all purchased rank 1 and 2 gifts of the most favorable type for each companion to get to 8000 affection, before you do any conversations with the companion.  Then you can finish off each companion with conversation affection and then with rank 3-5 gifts.

Another thing you may want to consider changing is your section on gearing. Having one outfit from level 1 may not be the best thing if you have access to legacy gear. If you plan out your characters right you can keep several suits of legacy gear and pass them between characters that use the same stats (pass your level 19 gear from your Merc to your Commando, etc). Also, by using legacy gear you can keep Treek in updated armor without spending anything after the first run through.

- Piotr / Chevez / Viac / Tihm / Kalannar / Qeron / HGTTG-42
FridaySaturdaySundayMondayTuesdayWednesdayThursday
FridaySaturdaySundayMondayTuesdayWednesdayThursday
PayPal Donation
A PayPal email address must be added to widget configuration.
No FB Yes FB Hand (smaller) Lap 40.063em Desk 64.063em Wall 90.063em